Thanks to the electronic nose, get objective and reliable measurements in smell testing. Its numerous applications allow you to guarantee the quality and conformity of your products among consumers, to support your R&D for the development of new products and to detect fraud and counterfeiting.
of the electronic nose for smell analysis
Analysing the odour or aroma of a product is a very common application in industry and a very frequent need in sensory evaluation because the sensory profile and the sensory quality of products are key factors for their success among consumers. Thus, industrials frequently use olfactory analysis, either at the product development stage or at production quality control level.
Make quality control easier with the electronic nose
The consumer expects that his favourite products have a constant sensory quality. With objective and reliable measurements, the electronic nose helps to control the sensory profile of products all through the production line:
- Sensory conformity tests: aroma control, off-odour detection, odorous contaminant detection
- Consumer complaints investigation and identification of odorous defects subjected to a customer claim
- Influence of the manufacturing process on aroma
- Products aroma ageing follow-up, ingredients selection based on their shelf life and the stability of their sensory profile
- Food packaging testing: evaluation of the impact of food-contact materials on the organoleptic quality of food.
Odour analysis at the service of product development
The sensory profile, and products aroma in particular, has a strong influence on consumers’ choice and preference. Thanks to its numerous applications, the electronic nose is a precious support tool for designing new products that meet consumers’ expectations :
- Recipe optimization to reach a target sensory profile
- Design of innovative product with a totally unique aroma
- Product re-design (retro-engineering) to change or improve its sensory features: new recipe, new aroma, new packaging
- Benchmarking of competitive products based on their sensory profile
- Change of manufacturing process or ingredients substitution (sugar-free, low carb, etc) and assessment of the impact on product aroma.
Flash gas chromatography electronic nose
HERACLES Neo is dedicated to the analysis of your products’ aroma as well as chemical molecules composing the smell, with AroChemBase option. Thanks to its numerous applications, its high precision and ease of use, control the sensory profile of your products to better satisfy your customers.
Unique benefits of HERACLES Neo electronic nose
Using an electronic nose instrument for the sensory analysis of smell allows our customers to:
- Make sensory evaluation more reliable within their company
- Improve sensory quality of their production and assure its consistency over time
- Standardize the aroma quality of products among production sites on a global scale
- Control the sensory characteristics of their products
- Investigate customers claims linked to smell to decrease financial loss
- Significantly decrease production loss thanks to an earlier detection and better reactivity on olfactory defects
- Speed up liberating tests on production batches.
HERACLES Neo : unsurpassed technical performance
HERACLES Neo uses flash gas chromatography technology and unique technical characteristics, to provide unsurpassed performance in assessing the chemical composition and related sensory attributes:
- Evaluation of smell fingerprint: the chromatography data processing software with multivariate statistics is on of the specificities of the electronic nose, that allows to assess an smell globally, as perceived by the sensory panel
- Possibility to identify the chemical compounds composing the smell and quantitative analysis: the interest of a separative technique such as gas chromatography lies in the ability to qualify the chemical molecules involved and to quantify odours compounds.
- Objectivity of the measurement for odour analysis: using an instrument like the electronic nose for analyzing smell guarantees repeatable, reproducible and totally objective results compared with the human perception of odours
- High stability of measurement in the long-term: the electronic nose allows to assure the consistency of sensory quality over time by avoiding any potential drift that could come from the sensory evaluation tool
- High sensitivity of detection of odorous compounds and VOCs: gas chromatography technology with built-in pre-concentration trap allows to reach very low detection thresholds on odorous molecules with HERACLES Neo electronic nose
- Rapidity and high analysis throughput: HERACLES Neo electronic nose, based on flash gas chromatography and coupled with an autosampler, allows to analyze up to 200 samples a day with a constant reliability of measurement.
Thanks to a great ease of sample preparation and a high reliability of smell measurements, HERACLES Neo electronic nose can thus substitute to a sensory panel for some routine tests that can be difficult or that can raise safety issues linked with the presence of compounds such as alcohols, solvents or volatile compounds in plastics.Request Brochure
smell analysis module
AroChemBase, a smell analysis module with unique performance
AroChemBase software module is designed to help identify and characterize the chemical molecules detected when analyzing smell with HERACLES Neo electronic nose or any instrument based on gas chromatography technology.
Based on the Kovats index, AroChemBase module delivers a list of possible compounds sorted by relevance index. With information on the sensory attributes related to the chemical compounds and human detection thresholds, samples can be further evaluated on their organoleptics features.
AroChemBase is also a database of chemical compounds with related sensory notes that offers advanced search capabilities for smell analysis, and that can be further enriched with users’ measurement data.
This odour analysis module is a unique tool for odour and aroma evaluation using gas chromatography:
- More than 99,000 chemical compounds with name, chemical formula, CAS number, retention indices on several chromatography columns
- About 2 000 molecules with related sensory notes and odour attributes
- More than 1800 molecules with human odor detection threshold
Applications of AroChemBase odour analysis module
Specifically designed to rapidly define a sensory profile and a chemical and sensory characterization, AroChemBase module is particularly recommended for applications that require more than an odour fingerptint analysis, such as:
- Qualification of the aromatic profile of a product and of sensory notes involved
- Characterization of the chemical composition of the smell thanks to gas chromatography technology
- Sensory benchmarking of competitive products or reference products
- Re-formulation of products or retro-engineering to optimize its aroma characteristics
- Off-odours investigation: identification of chemical compounds behind a defect producing a bad odour or a customer claim
- Identification of molecules responsible for a change of smell during product ageing.
ANALYTICAL SERVICES :
our odour measurement services with the electronic nose
Customized services for your odour analysis needs
With more than 20 years of experience in odour testing for major companies from various sectors (food, beverage, plastics and packaging, etc), Alpha MOS laboratories can deliver a customized answer to every customer need.
Why entrust your odour analysis to Alpha MOS?
Be it for a one-time project or for regular needs, you will benefit from our expertise in odour testing and our know-how on the electronic nose to assure:
- A full support all through your odour analysis project, from the definition of your needs up to analytical results interpretation for implementation within your company.
- An objective and reliable odour measurement.
By outsourcing your odour analysis to our teams, you don’t have to support the equipment linked with the cost of acquisition of the electronic nose and you will rapidly obtain answers to your olfactory analysis needs, without the need to train a person from your company to the use of the instrument.
Our analytical services, conducted with our electronic nose instruments, deliver practical answers to support decision-making with regard to product development or quality control:
- Comparison with competitive products (benchmarking), characterization of sensory differences
- Determination of the sensory profile of your products and support to select the optimal formulation
- Odour and aroma follow-up over time (ageing and stability studies)
- Control of sensory features preservation over a change of supplier, manufacturing process or recipe
- Determination of optimal storage conditions to maintain organoleptic quality
- Investigation of the origin of a defect producing a bad odour.